The installer’s the first thing most users interact with. Before “what are they trying to use the app for?” or “how do I build the best interface?”
Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac has in the course of the purchase and install
- forced me to create a log in
- tried to get me to install some crapware
- sent me a weird email asking me to go back and register for a second site*
- blackmailed me into registering to get updates
So I’ve now created an account, and I’m being asked to give it again, plus sign up for a complimentary magazine subscription (I guess) and when I’m done with that, I’m supposed to do it a third time in case I ever need to file a support ticket.
If you hit that question mark, you go to a page that tells you “Parallels needs this information in order to provide our customers with the best software and service.”
Great. Let me know when you’re doing that. Because right now, I’m regretting purchasing your products.
* Parallels: “NOTE: Your account in Parallels Support Request Tracker system is different from ‘My Account’ option on www.parallels.com site. Parallels Support Request Tracker (https://support.parallels.com/) is a web interface, that allows you to view and update your existing requests to Parallels Support and also submit new support requests on your own.”
Me: “First support request: why did this require me to create another account?”