I’m a little torn about what to say about this week, since I don’t want to slag anyone on my way out, but I’ve encountered a couple of dramatically different reactions:
– You’re quitting, seriously?
– Oh crap, that sucks.
– Where are you going?
– I’d love to leave too, but I don’t have another job lined up
I’m a little shocked at how many people came to talk to me about their own discontent. I’d bet in February, after everyone’s annual-review stock vests, Expedia’s going to see a huge number of resignations
And then from managers
– I just want to make sure you’re doing what’s best for you (but really I don’t care and won’t talk about that at all)
– I know there are serious problems here, but I’m not running away (by the way, if you’re a manager out there, this is a really crappy thing to say to someone)
– Don’t quit, come work for me on my team (several)
I know in some ways that this puts my boss/his boss on the defensive, because walking away without having another job isn’t just a loss of a person, it’s a pretty dramatic statement about how bad things are… I’ll stop whining. Next week should be fun.